Software Asset Management
Three Steps to Software License Compliance
Minimize the workload needed to achieve compliance by using the advanced recognition and reconciliation capabilities in this toolset.
The process broadly falls into the following three steps.
- Discover the entire network and remove unwanted software
- Import the MLS statement and purchase orders, then match off against recognized software
- Use Built in Compliance reports and license or uninstall underlicensed software
The compliance process begins as soon as the implementation of discovery or the SCCM integration component is complete.
Sources of software ownership evidence, including MLS statements, purchasing records, and accounting entries, are loaded
into the system and normalized. The user can then start to match off purchases against existing infrastructure and discoveries
to establish the software licensing compliance position.
xAssets Software Asset Management is now incorporated within the following solutions:
xAssets IT Asset Management
is a full lifecycle IT Asset Management solution for companies with
xAssets Network Discovery, with other discovery tools or with SCCM/SMS. This also includes
Software Asset Management functionality as part of the core product.
xAssets Software Discovery Service
is a 60 day service to enable companies to quickly establish their Software License
Compliance position, using xAssets IT Asset Management in a cloud environment.
These products are designed to meet the scalability needs and extensive configuration
requirements of very large enterprises, while also delivering the needs
of Medium Size Enterprises with zero or minimal configuration.
- Discover software installed on PCs across the network
- Analyse software installed on PCs across the network
- Import software license purchases
- Match software license purchases against usage on the network
- Group licenses into license pools
- Manage support agreements and other software related contracts
- Purchase software licenses in advance of going underlicensed
- Receive notifications when a user installs software
- Remove unauthorised software installations, freeing up licenses
- Reduce support incidents
- Automatically recognize incoming software titles from publisher spreadsheets such as the MLS statement
- Classification of software according to risk, importance and licensing
- Import software license purchases and match off against discovered titles
- Discovery is fast and very low bandwidth and nothing is installed on desktops
- Assign software licenses to specific PC's
- Standardised reports on compliance position are part of the core product
- Adapt the system through configuration to your specific requirements
- Integration with SCCM, SMS, Active Directory and other products
- Email alerts
The discovery processes uses a wide variety of discovery techniques to collect
Software information from assets across the network including the following:
- Operating Systems Version and Edition
- Sql Server Discovery and Licensing Model Identification
- AutoRun entries from Local User and System Registry
- Software is discovered and identified from executable file headers AND from registry entries
- Services running on both Servers and Desktops
- Antivirus software is recognized and classified
- Detailed Hardware Asset Information including Monitors, VM Hosts and Devices
Software Recognition in
xAssets Network Discovery and in
xAssets IT Asset Management
is complemented by a manual recognition process.
We receive unrecognized software lists from customers on a regular basis,
and these items are manually investigated by our staff
and added to the software recognition database. xAssets feeds software recognition data to your
local installation or hosted installation on a regular basis, so unrecognized software is always
dealt with in a timely and efficient manner.